26 July 2016
Government and all the defence forces are doing all it can to trace the missing AN-32 military aircraft. Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar said that several pings have been picked up over the Bay of Bengal during the search operations but there is no breakthrough.
“As of now, there is no confirmed finding, but wherever there were small leads — there were four to five blinks which were noticed — we are trying to find out whether they are misleading or whether they have some meaning,” Mr. Parrikar said in response to questions in the Rajya Sabha.
However, he said no resources had been spared in the efforts and “everything is with time.”“We have used satellite imagery. We have used surveillance. We have used P-8i expensively. We have used almost about 30 ships, including the Coast Guard, the Indian Navy and the Merchant ship. The submarine is already in the area,” Mr. Parrikar elaborated on the efforts.
In addition, INS Nirupak is scheduled to be deployed on Wednesday with an autonomous underwater vehicle and camera embarked to augment the search along with the 16 ships and 20 aircraft already on duty.